Musandam by Dhow
Day 1 Meet in Dubaï
We will greet you in Dubai. Transfer by private vehicle to Khasab and night in our accomodation in Khasab.
Day 2 Dubaï - Khasab - Khor Ash Sham Fjord
After breakfast at our accommodation, we join our dhow boat. Discover the joys of this traditional Omani boat as we depart to Sham Bay. The passage near the sugar loaf, which marks the entry into the fjords of Arabia, is a perfect spot to observe dolphins swimming in the eddies. Enjoy a swimming break to discover the rich local marine fauna before we anchor for a first night in the clear waters of the Persian Gulf.
Day 3 Sham Island and the isolated village of Kumzar
A short hike to the top of Sham Island rewards us with spectacular first day views of the bay. From our rocky promontory, we may be able to see green turtles, dolphins, tiger rays and (harmless) reef sharks which populate the seabed. The lush marine life is a fantastic contrast to the raw mineral scenery of the mountains. We then drive north along the Musandam Peninsula towards the remote village of Kumzar. We set up camp near this unique village facing Iran which has its own dialect.
Day 4 The heights of Kumzar
We leave our boat to discover this multi-faceted fishing village. After crossing the streets and meeting local Kumzaris, we take to the heights and climb to a plateau where many goats graze in the remains of an ancient shepherds village. We reach our dhow and Sham Bay and set up our first camp on a beach.
Day 5 Kayaking and walking on the crests of Habalayan
We unload the kayaks and head towards the bottom of the bay. A short crossing in this sheltered site enables an easy discovery of how to handle our kayaks. We leave our boats for a short climb to discover the bay of Hibalayan, the second fjord of Arabia, which gives way to the Indian ocean. Possibility of swimming, green turtles are not rare here! Kayak back to our camp.
Day 6 Kayaking and trekking to Maqlab
In the morning, we sail peacefully into the bay to the fishing village of Maqlab. This is the start point of today's walk which takes us up to the crests that dominate the two fjords of Arabia. We then go to the beautiful Telegraph Islands, the Bay's major snorkeling site does not disappoint. It is a short trip by kayak to our camp.
Day 7 Khasab - Dubai
Return to Khasab in the morning and transfer to Dubai. We skirt the coastline, first near the mountains of Jebel Harim and its 2000m peak and then we enter the desert of Rub al Khali. This kingdom of the dromedary if found between Oman and the Emirates. Installation in our hotel in Dubai.
Day 8 Dubaï
A full day devoted to visiting the incredible city of all challenges. Visit traditional Dubai with its souqs (jewelry, spices, textiles ...) and old clay houses. Then immerse yourself in a futuristic universe, at the foot of the skyscrapers of the 2000s. A journey that brings us from the Burj Al Arab Jumeirah hotel, an iconic symbol of Dubai, to the artificial island of Palm Jumeira where the incredible hotel Atlantis is found. We will follow the track of 'Ski Dubai', an indoor ski resort. Dinner at a restaurant this evening before to get back to the airport.
If your plane is late in the night, or the day after, we can arrange an overnight in our hotel in Dubaï (extra cost).
Dates & prices
Departures for English-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
Trip code: POMBF-UK
- All transfers as detailed in itinerary
- Accommodation in a hotel in Khasab, on board the dhow and in tents
- Full board excluding the final evening meal in Dubai
- Private group use of a traditional dhow boat
- Accompaniment by a captain and cook on board
- Full supervision by a qualified Altai Guide
- Quality camping gear
- All technical kayaking equipment
- Flights and air taxes
- Your Oman visa: around €15, you can reserve this online at https://evisa.rop.gov.om before your departure
- Your final evening meal in Dubai
- Snorkelling equipment
- Tips, drinks and personal expenses
- This trip is possible in double kayaks: 250 € reduction per person
- Single supplement: Contact us
- Accommodation in Dubai before and/or after your trip: 110 € per room, prices may vary please contact us
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: No cancellation fees.
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: 30% of trip price will be retained.
- Cancellation received within 20 days of the departure date: 70% of trip price will be retained.
Changes to travel contract
Budget & exchange
- A quality tent per two people
- A comfortable sleeping matt for on the deck of the dhow and in your tent
- Equipment on board the dhow
- A sleeping bag - comfort 10°C
- Quality sunglasses (filter lenses)
- Water bottle(s) - min 1L
- Sun cream - waterproof
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Personal toiletries - think small and biodegradable if possible, shampoo for saltwater recommended
- Toilet paper
- A sunhat
- T-shirts - some long-sleeved for the sun - synthetic, fast drying materials
- A warm jacket for evenings by the sea
- A lightweight wind proof waterproof jacket - breathable (Gore-Tex...)
- Light weight trousers or cropped pants
- Sarongs / long skirts for women are welcomed
- Socks - for walking
- Sports sandals are great in the water and for camping on the beach
- A swim suit
- Swimming shorts
- Rash vest / lyra t-shirt
- Shoes which can go in the water
- A small towel - fast drying micro fibre towel recommended
- Snorkelling equipment - mask, snorkel and flippers
- A pocket knife
- A personal first aid kit
- Wet wipes
- Anti bacterial hand gel
- Matches / a lighter