Kayaking in the fjords of Arabia
Day 1 Meet in Dubaï in the evening.
We will greet you in Dubai. Evening transfer by private vehicle to Khasab where we spend the night.
Transport: 3 hours
Day 2 Khor Ash Sham
Preparation for our departure - we leave in the late afternoon or early evening in kayaks. We paddle around 2 hours to a secluded spot and set up camp at the edge of the sea in a creek bordered by a sandy beach. Once camp is installed we can go swimming under the stars.
Days 3 to 6 4 days kayaking in Khor Ash Sham
This morning we load our boats and prepare for 4 days of autonomy in Sham Fjord. We paddle among cliffs, incredible little coves and the occassional traditional fishing village. The bay is renowned for its exceptional wildlife including green turtles, dolphins, eagle rays and reef sharks (harmless).
In the mornings, we glide quietly through transparent waters sheltered from the tumult of the open sea. In the afternoons, when the sun is at its hottest, we enjoy swimming and snorkeling among corals in the clear warm waters. In November the sea temperature is around 30°C! A dramatic contrast to the raw mineral scenery of the mountains of Oman, the seabed displays an extraordinary diversity. If luck is with us, we will meet dolphins and other fabulous marine life... In the late afternoons/evenings, we invite you to learn how to fish: in these waters fresh fish is guaranteed for our evening meals. In addition, one or two 40 minute hikes will unlock stunning views of the entire bay.
Day 7 Khasab
Enjoy a last kayak outing exploring the rough rocky coast and a final swim/snorkel at noon.
This afternoon we return to Khasab to finish this beautiful Omani adventure together.
Day 8 Khasab - Dubaï
Transfer to Dubai; arrival in the early afternoon and guided tour of this incredible city of all challenges. First, we start by inhaling the rich aromas of the souqs, then we make the short crossing to the other side of the 'creek' by taxi boat. We begin to really understand the great adventure the faced by construction workers here as we journey to the historic heart of the city, the heritage district where it all began. Next, we look to the future from the foot of the skyscrapers of the 2000s. Our journey takes us to Burj Khalifa, the tallest tower in the world and a beautiful end to our trip.
We can enjoy dinner at a restaurant to end our trip. If your onwards travel is scheduled for late tonight or tomorrow, contact us and we can extend your stay in Dubai with Altai Oman.
Dates & prices
Departures for English-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
Trip code: POKA-UK
- All transfers as detailed in itinerary
- Full board excluding the final evening meal in Dubai
- Kayaking equipment (single kayaks)
- Camping equipment (2 per tent)
- Full supervision by a qualified expert guide
- Flights and air taxes
- Your Oman visa: around €15, you can reserve this online at https://evisa.rop.gov.om before your departure
- Your final evening meal in Dubai
- Snorkelling equipment
- Tips, drinks and personal expenses
- This trip is possible in double kayaks: 250 € reduction per person
- Single supplement: Contact us
- Accommodation in Dubai before and/or after your trip: 110 € per room, prices may vary please contact us
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: No cancellation fees.
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: 30% of trip price will be retained.
- Cancellation received within 20 days of the departure date: 70% of trip price will be retained.
Changes to travel contract
Budget & exchange
- A quality tent per two people
- A comfortable sleeping matt for on the deck of the dhow and in your tent
- Equipment on board the dhow
- Kayaks and all technical paddling geaer including paddles and life vests
- A sleeping bag - comfort 10°C
- Quality sunglasses (filter lenses)
- Water bottle(s) - min 1L
- Sun cream - waterproof
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Personal toiletries - think small and biodegradable if possible, shampoo for saltwater recommended
- Toilet paper
- A sunhat
- T-shirts - some long-sleeved for the sun - synthetic, fast drying materials
- A warm jacket for evenings by the sea
- A lightweight wind proof waterproof jacket - breathable (Gore-Tex...)
- Light weight trousers or cropped pants
- Sarongs / long skirts for women are welcomed
- Socks - for walking
- Sports sandals are great in the water and for camping on the beach
- A swim suit
- Swimming shorts
- Rash vest / lyra t-shirt
- Shoes which can go in the water
- A small towel - fast drying micro fibre towel recommended
- Snorkelling equipment - mask, snorkel and flippers
- A pocket knife
- A personal first aid kit
- Wet wipes
- Anti bacterial hand gel
- Matches / a lighter