The Musandam in Comfort
Day 1 Meet in Dubai
We will greet you in Dubai. Transfer by private vehicle to our accommodation in Khasab, in Oman.
Day 2 Dubaï - Khasab - welcome on board
After breakfast and a little preparation time, we board our traditional dhow boat and set off into Sham Bay. We sail north to the Gub Ali Fjord stopping to enjoy a snorkelling session in the clear turquoise waters. During your time on board you will be accompanied by a local crew in addition to your guide providing a great opportunity to learn more about local life. We enjoy a pleasant communal dinner and settle down to sleep on comfortable mattresses on deck under the stars of the Persian Gulf.
Day 3 The isolated village of Kumzar
We continue our journey by dhow along the Musandam Peninsula to the isolated village of Kumzar. we disembark to discover on foot this unusual village facing Iran which has its own local dialect. If we wish, we can climb a plateau which overlooks the village following a path frequented by goats. Tonight we spend our second night sleeping on board.
Day 4 Coastal Sailing back to Sham Bay
We sail along the coastline back to the entrance of Sham Bay where dolphins often play in the waves of our wake. We arrive at Sham village in the late morning. This is one of the main villages of the bay and here we settle into chalets built by the villages. This peaceful haven, only accessible by sea, will be our basecamp for the next two days. This afternoon, we enjoy our first kayak outing here in this sheltered part of the bay, an ideal location for an introduction to kayaking and a chance to perfect our rudder settings. We take advantage of this first paddle to introduce ourselves to local villagers.
Day 5 Kayaking and walking, Sham Island
Today we venture through a secret passage only accessible at high tide to access the foothills of Sham Island. We explore the Caribbean-like scenery of the islands highlands and keep our eyes open for turtles and rays! A short climb brings us to the top of the island and breathtaking views of the bay - we will even be able to see our accommodation. This afternoon we take the kayaks out, pootle among capitaines and barracudas and catch fish to grill for this evenings meal.
Day 6 Kayaking to Sibi Island
Early this morning, after a good breakfast in the cool of our accommodation, we kayak to the bottom of the bay. We pass just a few headlands and before arriving at the majestic island of Sibi. Here, more than anywhere else, the seabed simply must be explored. We kayak, swim and sneak into the foothills of this pearl. We hike along a path which enables us to discover the entire island, once again enjoying the surprising mineral scenery. After a thorough exploration, we head back to the village, then travel by boat to Khasab where we settle for the next 2 nights.
Day 7 Khasab - Hiking in the Wadi de Quadah Canyon
This morning we journey to the small village of Quadah at the entrance to an impressive wadi (canyon) several kilometers long. We enter the wadi and marvel at the power of the water which carved the spectacular walls and polished the rock as we embark on a slightly sporty hike through several intriguing passages to a plateau. Here, we explore a traditional village which has been abandoned by its inhabitants but has managed to preserve a unique charm. It cannot have been easy living here, absolutely everything was done to create methods of collecting the little water provided during the rains...
We also have the opportunity to continue 200m higher to the summit. From here, we can access an incredible path which leads back to the village, about 2m wide carved into the cliff. This narrow path overlooking the void is optional, safe and spectacular...
We leave the mineral world of the canyon and join the fresh green of Quadah palm grove then return to Khasab by vehicle.
Day 8 Khasab - Dubai
Morning transfer to the Emirates and early afternoon arrival in the incredible city of Dubai for which no challenge is too great. Our visit begins in old Dubai with its various souqs (gold, spice, textile...), then we make the short crossing to the other side of the 'creek' by taxi boat. We explore the historic district, the fort, museum and mosque before moving to Burj Khalif and modern Dubai. The contrast between these authentic historic highlight and the fountains, luxury shops and promenade of today is astonishing. We enjoy dinner at a restaurant to end our trip. If your onwards travel is scheduled for late tonight or tomorrow, contact us and we can extend your stay in Dubai with Altai Oman.
Dates & prices
Departures for French-speaking groups:
No departure for now
Departures for English-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
Trip code: POMBC
- All in-country transfers as detailed in itinerary
- Full board except for the final evening meal in Dubai
- Private use of a dhow boat with captain and cook
- All technical kayaking equipment (single kayaks)
- Accommodation in double rooms and communal living on board
- Full supervision by a qualified Altai Guide
- Flights and air taxes
- Your Oman visa: around €15, you can reserve this online at https://evisa.rop.gov.om before your departure
- Your final evening meal in Dubai
- Snorkelling equipment
- Tips, drinks and personal expenses
- This trip is possible in double kayaks: 250 € reduction per person
- Single supplement: Contact us
- Accommodation in Dubai before and/or after your trip: 110 € per room, prices may vary please contact us
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: a sum of €50 per person will be retained
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: your deposit, 30% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 20 to 14 days before the departure date: 50% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 13 to 7 days before the departure date: 75% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received less than 7 days before the departure date: 100% of the total trip price will be retained
- Fixed airfares: if your airline ticket was issued in advance, often done to avoid significant surcharges, you will be charged 100% of any non-refundable fees if you wish to change or cancel your flight plan.
- Fixed in-country costs: early charges for firm bookings will be charged if you cancel or modify your trip.
- Insurance costs: if you have taken out comprehensive or cancellation insurance, the cost of insurance is due and cannot be refunded.
Modification du contrat
Prix et révision des prix
Cession du contrat
Budget & exchange
- A comfortable sleeping matt for on the deck of the dhow
- Equipment on board the dhow
- Kayaks and all technical paddling gear including paddles and life vests
- A sleeping bag - comfort 10°C
- Quality sunglasses (filter lenses)
- Water bottle(s) - min 1L
- Sun cream - waterproof
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Personal toiletries - think small and biodegradable if possible, shampoo for saltwater recommended
- Toilet paper
- A sunhat
- T-shirts - some long-sleeved for the sun - synthetic, fast drying materials
- A warm jacket for evenings by the sea
- A lightweight wind proof waterproof jacket - breathable (Gore-Tex...)
- Light weight trousers or cropped pants
- Sarongs / long skirts for women are welcomed
- Socks - for walking
- Sports sandals are great in the water and for camping on the beach
- A swim suit
- Swimming shorts
- Rash vest / lyra t-shirt
- Shoes which can go in the water
- A small towel - fast drying micro fibre towel recommended
- Snorkelling equipment - mask, snorkel and flippers
- A pocket knife
- A personal first aid kit
- Wet wipes
- Anti bacterial hand gel
- Matches / a lighter